The Colorado Symphony seeks a dynamic Assistant Conductor whose responsibilities will include leading programs in all genres including pops, holiday, seasonal, community, and education; acting as cover conductor; and performing other conducting and non-conducting duties as assigned. This position will offer full-time employment beginning September 2018.
Candidates must have meaningful orchestral conducting experience in a professional or academic setting, a broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and programming, be fluent and articulate in English, have a collaborative spirit, and be willing to reside in the Denver metro region. Candidates must also be willing and effective public advocates for the Colorado Symphony and should be comfortable engaging with the public both formally and informally.
About the Colorado Symphony
One of the leading orchestras in the United States, the Colorado Symphony performs more than 150 concerts annually at Boettcher Concert Hall in downtown Denver and across Colorado. Led by Music Director Brett Mitchell, the Colorado Symphony is home to eighty full-time musicians, representing more than a dozen nations, and regularly welcomes the most celebrated artists from the world of symphonic music and beyond. Every season, the Colorado Symphony serves more than 250,000 people from all walks of life, performing a range of musical styles, from traditional to contemporary. Recognized as an incubator of innovation, creativity, and excellence, the Colorado Symphony continually expands its reach through education, outreach, and programming. The Colorado Symphony partners with the state’s leading musical artists, cultural organizations, corporations, foundations, sports teams, and individuals to expose diverse audiences to the transformative power of music.
To apply, please submit the following by email by the closing date of March 1, 2018 to Emily Scott, Director of Artistic
Administration, at email@example.com. No phone calls.
- Cover Letter, including contact information for three professional references
- Links to high-quality videos of the applicant conducting 3 contrasting works, including at least one from the 20th or 21st century. Please include rehearsal footage of at least one of the selected works.
- If videos are sent via a password-protected channel or site, such as YouTube, candidates must provide all log in information in the body of their application email
- To send files via Dropbox, please use the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/1w82H8KvvcV2qqKQF71e
- All file names must include the name of the applicant. Example: John Smith _Conducting File 1
Individuals chosen to participate in the audition process will be notified by March 21, 2018. Auditions will take place on April 24 – 25, 2018 in Denver, CO. Candidates will need to provide their own transportation and housing. The Symphony will provide suggestions on nearby hotels offering reduced rates.