What Is “Sensory Friendly”?
The Colorado Symphony presents performances for families of individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities, autism, sensory processing disorder, or other conditions. The Colorado Symphony is happy to present a performance in a relaxed, sensory-friendly way to ensure everyone has access to live, affordable entertainment.
What To Expect At A Sensory Friendly Concert
Sensory-friendly performances at the Colorado Symphony are inclusive experience. Each performance is open to patrons of all ages and abilities and designed for individuals on the autism spectrum, those with sensory sensitivities, and others who would like to enjoy a concert in a relaxed environment. The symphony works closely with multiple accessibility advisers in the community to plan these experiences, where all patrons are welcome to come with family and friends and respond to the music in their own way!
Modifications to the concert experience that are typically available at sensory-friendly performances include:
- Online pre-visit materials, such as concert playlists, stories, picture schedules, and tip sheets that show patrons what they can expect to experience at the performance
- Audience members do not need to sit still or keep quiet, are free to come and go if need be, and are asked to wave hands to show their appreciation rather than clapping
- Training for our team to help staff cultivate an especially inclusive environment
- Relaxed rules in the performance space so that all responses to the music—clapping, singing, vocalizing, moving, dancing, etc.—are welcome at any time
- Lights in the audience are kept higher so audience members can see one another
- Free fidgets and earplugs
- Mitigation of sudden, loud sounds
- For ticketed events, a modified refund policy that allows families to receive 100% of their money back if they purchase tickets and find they are unable to attend the day of the performance
For questions about sensory-friendly performances, please contact Shari Myers, Education Coordinator, at 303.534.0755 or e-mail email@example.com.